Today I was invited on ABC Radio Brisbane to discuss the importance of quality couples time, especially for couples with children. Here are my “hot tips”:
- Try to spend at least 5 hours (6 is better) per week on average together as a couple. This does not mean bickering in Bunnings. This is when you feel a sense of togetherness, even if you are watching a movie.
- Keep it simple. Dance in the living room, go for a walk, send sweet texts, close the bedroom door on a weekend and tell the kids “mummy and daddy are having a nap”. Be both planned and spontaneous.
- Prioritise connection. If you make plans, honour them as important, just like you would a dentist appointment or a work meeting. Don’t let other things crowd out your couple time.
- Express fondness and appreciation. Remember when you met? You admired some things about this person. Tell him or her what you are grateful for and what you still appreciate. A positive sentiment towards your spouse makes a massive difference.
- Kiss. Six second kisses are kisses with potential, says John Gottman. Try doing this every day!
Listen to my interview with Kat on the ABC Afternoons show for more 🙂